On Monday 22 October 2001 13:20, Ivan Pascal wrote:
> [...]
>
>   Not at all. Ordinar keyboard input processing is hidden in Xlib. Since
> most of applications don't do anything except getting key events and their
> translation to keysyms (by X*LookupString) such applications know nothing
> about what protocol and what kind of keymap is used - 'core' or XKB.
>   The xmodmap is exception.
>
>   Note that xmodmap uses 'core protocol' for interaction with Xserver.
> The XKB server module tries to emulate 'core protocol' requests/replays
> for application that require it. But such emulation can't reflect all
> details of XKB keymap. So it is not strange that xmodmap shows not the same
> that xkbcomp can show.
>
>   If you could send me your keymap I would can say more about this 'strange
> behavior'. (Maybe xmodmap or 'core protocol emulation' in XKB is really
> buggy.)

It is good to have this clearly explained!

One thing that is buggy for sure is my own keymap, so I'll try to make it
work (I might accept your offer if I run into a dead end, because for now all
I can do is use altavista to get a bad translation of your XKB web pages.)

However, one thing that is not buggy in my keymap is the keycodes section,
since my customisation was a simple trim. From:

xkb_keycodes {

   minimum= 8;
   maximum= 255;

   [... xfree86 default ...]

};

xkb_keycodes {

   minimum= 9;
   maximum= 117;

   [... xfree86 default, but only keycodes up to 117 ...]

};

Therefore, my tests seem to show that the dynamic update of the valid range
of keycodes is only seen by xkbcomp not xmodmap. If this is a bug in xmodmap
itself or in XKB "core protocol emulation", I don't know. One would think
that, since xmodmap is not running all the time and should simply read the
valid keycode range from XKB "core protocol emulation", which running all the
time, xmodmap cannot remember the range of keycodes and so this is XKB's
fault. Nevertheless, this is a minor and specific thing and should not
present any real problems.

Thanks,

Francisco.