Around 14 o'clock on Jan 8, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

> (Keith, how's Xft's support for bitmap fonts?  Is Francesco Zappa's work on
> BDF support in FreeType complete enough?)

The new version of Xft has full FreeType bitmap font support; FreeType has
a working PCF driver, but I haven't got the reencoding tables done yet --
the only usable encodings are either Latin-1 and Unicode.

The new version is available in my CVS repository at keithp.com.  It'll
get integrated into XFree86 after the 4.2 release.

I've recently restructured it to eliminate all mention of server-side
fonts and make way for client-side core-protocol font support, but I've
been side tracked for a few days evaluating the Freenix submissions (read
53 15 page papers, grade and comment.).  This restructuring has eliminated
the XftFreeType interfaces as well as trimmed the published portions of
the font data structures to the bare minimum so that additional changes
can be made in the future without requiring another major library version
number change.

I believe we'll have to ship the new version in parallel with the old for
at least one release of XFree86; Qt3 won't run against the new version
without some minor modifications.

Existing applications avoiding the XftFreeType interfaces will work just
fine.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab