> I use the Bulgarian keyboard (first group for Latin letters and second
> group for Cyrillic letters).  When the first group is active
> everything works fine.  However when the Cyrillic letters are active
> the modifier Alt doesn't work: when I press Alt+I the programs "think"
> I've pressed Alt+Cyrillic_I.  This is rather boring (and I hope
> someday this will be fixed), but I can understand this.  What I don't
> understand is why the Control modifier works (well not everywhere)
> when the keyboard is in Cyrillic mode.  Why do programs react as if
> I've pressed Control+I when I actually press Control+Cyrillic_I?  Does
> the Control modifier activates temporary the first group?

  You are right absolutely.
The XLookupString() tries to make control code using keysym from current group
but if it fails this subroutine "activates temporary the first group" and
tries to make controlized code useing corresponded keysym from the first group.

  This behavior can be changed by _XKB_CONTROL_FALLBACK environment variable.
(You guess it switched on by default.)

> If it does, then the first group has to be filled with Latin letters.
Of course, if you want such behavior.

--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University