> Can anyone please give advice with the following problem:
>
> I installed XFree86 4.1.0 on my Linux/X86 system. Since I am using
> glibc-2.2.4, for which locale support is good, I decided to build without X
> locale support (X_LOCALE undefined during compilation). My system is
> configured to support three locales in addition to the standard ones built
> into libc, namely de_DE.ISO-8859-1, de_DE.ISO-8859-15 and de_DE.UTF-8. All of
> those are accepted by setlocale(), but for de_DE.ISO-8859-15
> XSupportsLocale() returns FALSE. I assumed that if I did not define X_LOCALE,
> then X would completly rely on the underlying system's locale handling and
> not do any locale interpretation of its own, but that does not appear to be
> the case?

  You are right regarding X_LOCALE. You really need not this option.
But Xlib anyway uses own files that describes locale as addition to
'system locale' data. And Xlib need to find an appropriate locale file that
match the system locale.
  To map system locale names to names of Xlib's locale files it uses
locale.dir and locale.alias files in X11R6/lib/X11/locale. And you have
problem becouse in these files there is not mapping for 'de_DE.ISO-8859-15'
name.
  You need to add a string like
de_DE.ISO-8859-15:                de_DE.ISO8859-15
to the locale.alias file
and a string like
iso8859-15/XLC_LOCALE:            de_DE.ISO8859-15
to the locale.dir (of course, if such string is absent)
--
 Ivan U. Pascal         |   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Administrator of     |   Tomsk State University