Around 10 o'clock on Jan 31, "Moe Elzubeir" wrote:

> Then there is the Xft library interface. My question is, what fonts does the
> Xft use? Where does it get them from?

Xft uses the FreeType library and any fonts that are supported through
that.  FreeType supports most scalable formats, and is working on support
for more of them.  It also supports the standard .pcf fonts provided in
XFree86, so all of your bitmap fonts will be usable, even those with a
large encoding space.  The XFree86 4.2 version of Xft doesn't have support
for those bitmap fonts, but the next version does.

The next version of Xft also uses a separate font configuration library; I
intend to use that configuration within the X server at some point to
unify font configuration on the display.  I'm also working on various
other projects to get them interested in shared font configuration so that
in the future, you'll need edit only one file to configure fonts in all of
the packages on the system.

Xft will also no longer require the Render extension for client-side text,
it has fall-back code using the core protocol so that applications are
assured of running even on legacy X servers.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab