Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 8 o'clock on Jan 31, Brian Stell wrote:
>
> > Regarding *accurate* Arabic shaping: I'm not sure how this would
> > be done using Xft since it tends to work at the character level
> > not the glyph level and does not have code to handle Arabic
> > shaping.
>
> Xft is not a text layout library (but it does play one on TV).
> What it does provide is complete access to the underlying FreeType
> API -- ...
> The new version of Xft also provides cleaner APIs for accessing
> unencoded glyphs

As I have stated before I know very little about Arabic shaping
but this sounds good (if people see me making silly mistakes
kindly let me know).

Could you give an example of how an app would draw the initial
glyph variant for a character if it was the at the beginning
of a word and in the same draw operation draw the medial glyph
variant for the same character in the middle of the word?

(To keep the discussion simple lets assume that the app has
determined the initial glyph id and the medial glyph id for the
character).

--
Brian Stell