On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, David Starner wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:32:39PM +0100, Markus Kuhn wrote:
> > This leads to portable and agreeable default settings, using the
> > standard values
>
> Paper size depends on the physical size of paper in the printer, not
> anything having to do with the locale.

  Well, I'm afraid it's a bit too stong a statement that it has
nothing to do with the locale. It's a reasonable assumption that people
living in the US (who  have LANG set to en_US.xxx without explicitly
setting LC_PAPER) want to use US letter by default while people elsewhere
want to use A4 by default. That's why we have LC_PAPER. And, Markus's
example C code has nothing wrong except that in the future,
nl_langinfo() may be used instead of strstr() whereever possible.

> In Debian, /etc/papersize holds
> the default papersize. It seems entirely likely that an American abroad

 Debian should support LC_PAPER locale category instead of
relying on /etc/papersize. psutil (psresize, psnup,etc)
relies on it to pick the default paper size. If it's set to
en_US.xxx, it uses letter *by default*. Otherise, it uses
A4 *by default*.

> might use en_US.UTF-8, whereas a Hindu in American might want to use
> hi_IN.UTF-8, no matter what the printer sitting beside them holds.

Pls, don't forget that there are many locale categories.
(S)he may have the following:

LANG=hi_IN.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8

Similarly, I (a Korean living in the US) have (this is actually what I use):

LANG=ko_KR.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 # I need this because otherwise psutils uses A4.
LC_MESSAGES=C  # Korean translation is a bit too cryptic  to understand ;-)

  Jungshik Shin