I moved from StumpWM to i3 a bit ago, and everything's basically fine,
ie is a lot faster :)

One usage issue I'm having trouble with:

90% of the time I'm use the tabbed view, no splits, each window taking
up the full screen. Occasionally, though, I want to see windows
side-by-side. In StumpWM I could create and delete splits almost
unconsciously, and I'm not quite getting there with i3.

Mostly because I don't really understand how splits are removed. I often
create them accidentally by hitting mod-h when I meant to hit mod-j. As
far as I can tell, to get rid of that I have to move the window I'm in
down with mod-shift-k, then back up with mod-shift-l, and that removes
the split.

But I just intentionally created a split so that I could see two of my
three Emacs windows side-by-side. When I was done with that, I moved
window three back into the same split as the other two (so now all three
are tabbed in one split), but can't get rid of the split itself. Now
I've got this:

i3: T[emacs emacs emacs]

And below that three tabbed windows. How do I get rid of that top split?

I'm sure this is something very simple and obvious, but I've been poking
at it for a while, and can't figure it out...

Thanks,
Eric