Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:27:28 -0400
From: carol...@solutiongrove.com
To: iaep@lists.sugarlabs.org; server-de...@lists.laptop.org;
support-g...@lists.laptop.org
Subject: [support-gang] An Opportunity to bring vital content to the
Sugar/XO world - Needs technical help.

We have an opportunity to bring a program of K-2 English Reading and Math
content to our Sugar users for free.

http://www.innovationsforlearning.org/software_demo.php

Ignore the teachermate hardware and the $100 a machine price tag. The concept
is we make this available for Sugar for free.  So if you have XOs or a machines
you can use with Sugar on a Stick, you can use it for free.

If you watch the Classroom management video you'll see they have aligned it to
major Basal Curriculum programs or it can be used without. It can differentiate
instruction for groups and students.  This is vital functionality.  We need to
port this to the Sugar world, probably by putting it on the XS, maybe as a
module in Moodle.

Tomeu has done some work on making the activities work in Sugar, but I don't
think anyone has looked at how we enable classroom management.

Why I think this is important:

When I listen to feedback from the deployments, they all talk about the need
for content.
When I see for myself what its like to use Sugar in a school, I think we need
an on-ramp for teachers.  This program would be an easy way to get the teachers
to start using Sugar and computers without going very far outside of what they
already know. Its aligned with the major curriculum programs they are already
using.  My belief is if they take the first step, and use Sugar, they and their
students will explore further.  Too much technology sits in the classroom
closet. This seems like it would be used by lots of teachers, not just the most
technological ones.
This could be a model for other nonprofits for how to use Sugar to distribute
content they have created for our age level.It would be an excellent selling
point for teachers trying to bring Sugar into their schools.
Please help us find someone (or a team) who has time and skills to tackle the
technical challenge of porting/recreating the classroom management component.

Thanks!
Caroline

--
Caroline Meeks