On Sat, 26 May 2007, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Saturday 26 May 2007 13:31, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > Add a sysfs interface to allow userspace to modify the mapping between
> > ThinkPad hotkeys and the keycode input events they generate.
>
> No, please do not do that. We have a standard way to adjust keymap for
> an input device via EVIOCGKEYCODE/EVIOCSKEYCODE ioctls on corresponding
> event device; there is no need to invent another interface. Just define
> getkeycodes() and setkeycode() methods for your input device and be done
> with it.

Sure, I will change to the IOCTLs.  Such stuff is exactly why I sent out a
partway-done "don't merge it yet" patch set: I had a hunch that the code
would need some changes as the documentation on how to use the input device
in-kernel API is worth very little.

IMO if there is an API that is dedicated to drivers (and not, say, kernel
core), full documentation and keeping it up-to-date should be non-negotiable
requirements for the initial merge in mainline, and any subsequent patches
that touch it.  Oh well.   I am reading the corgikbd driver now, it looks
sane enough to use as documentation.

On that topic, am I to send SYNC events between key-press and key-release
events?  Just after a key-press+key release event?  Or not at all for a
EV_KEY ? And exactly what should go in the hardware port descriptor? I used
module name/input device number relative to the module.  THIS ONE REALLY
NEEDS TO BE DOCUMENTED PROPERLY.

  Henrique Holschuh