I am trying to build an output record that looks like

D04nnnnnn     (where nnnnnn is in column 27 for a length of 6 in the
input record)

I found a start on the IBM

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/professor
_sort/srtmarfm.html

and got this far

//SYSIN    DD *
     SORT FIELDS=COPY
     INCLUDE COND=(21,3,CH,EQ,C'JOB',AND,
               5,4,CH,EQ,C'    ')
      INREC BUILD=(1,1,C'D',2,2,C'04',27,6)
     RECORD TYPE=F

 We are on release 14 of DFSORT (not sure what PTF has been applied, I
am an application programmer).  I have tried it without the INREC part
and it still gives me grief.

1ICE143I 0 BLOCKSET     COPY  TECHNIQUE SELECTED

 ICE000I 1 - CONTROL STATEMENTS FOR 5740-SM1, DFSORT REL 14.0 - 12:40 ON
THU MAY
0               SORT FIELDS=COPY

                INCLUDE COND=(21,3,CH,EQ,C'JOB',AND,

                          5,4,CH,EQ,C'    ')

                INREC BUILD=(1,1,C'D',2,2,C'04',27,6)

                      $

 ICE104A 0 INVALID INREC OR OUTREC STATEMENT OPERAND

                RECORD TYPE=F

I have built INREC with using only data from the input record, but have
not inserted anything by spaces in the output before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kriss

Kriss Davis, CCP
Illinois State University