Hi.  I'm not sure what the "INREC BUILD..." is supposed to do because I
don't see this in the documentation.  Try INREC FIELDS=..... instead.

-----Original Message-----
From: Davis Kriss P [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 12:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: DFSORT, INREC and BUILD

I am trying to build an output record that looks like

D04nnnnnn     (where nnnnnn is in column 27 for a length of 6 in the
input record)

I found a start on the IBM

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/sort/mvs/professor
_sort/srtmarfm.html

and got this far

//SYSIN    DD *
     SORT FIELDS=COPY
     INCLUDE COND=(21,3,CH,EQ,C'JOB',AND,
               5,4,CH,EQ,C'    ')
      INREC BUILD=(1,1,C'D',2,2,C'04',27,6)
     RECORD TYPE=F

 We are on release 14 of DFSORT (not sure what PTF has been applied, I am an
application programmer).  I have tried it without the INREC part and it
still gives me grief.

1ICE143I 0 BLOCKSET     COPY  TECHNIQUE SELECTED

 ICE000I 1 - CONTROL STATEMENTS FOR 5740-SM1, DFSORT REL 14.0 - 12:40 ON THU
MAY
0               SORT FIELDS=COPY

                INCLUDE COND=(21,3,CH,EQ,C'JOB',AND,

                          5,4,CH,EQ,C'    ')

                INREC BUILD=(1,1,C'D',2,2,C'04',27,6)

                      $

 ICE104A 0 INVALID INREC OR OUTREC STATEMENT OPERAND

                RECORD TYPE=F

I have built INREC with using only data from the input record, but have not
inserted anything by spaces in the output before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kriss

-------------------------
Kriss Davis, CCP
Illinois State University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
309-438-2802
-------------------------

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY & USE NOTICE:  The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete
this message and any attachments.  In addition, you are strictly prohibited
from using, disseminating, distributing, copying, or storing this message and
any attachments.