On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:19:37PM -0400, Arthur T. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
[snip]
>       OTOH, almost anything you do within JCL hits the
> problem of continuing the command across several card
> images.  Perhaps if the XPARM pointed to a // PARM
> statement (like the // OUTPUT statement), the // PARM
> statement could have less arcane continuation rules than
> the PARM= parameter of the EXEC statement.

I think you had the right idea and then missed:  I propose that the
solution should be // PARM and make it mutually exclusive with the
PARM= keyword on EXEC.  Why complicate things?  It's certainly not
necessary for this.

>       As I was typing this, I realized that I think that
> Gil had the right idea

Yes.  And it's rare that I agree with Gil.  But he clearly has put a
lot of thought into understanding the ramifications of various
approaches.  In fact, I would have proposed virtually exactly what
Gil proposes if I hadn't read his message first.

>       This proposal doesn't make coding the parm across
> statements any easier, but at least it doesn't make it any
> harder.

Well, actually it does make things easier.  Since // PARM would be
all-new, it can be thoughtfully implemented to make it easy to code
long continuations correctly.

As to the few people who suggested a parm dataset, that's absolutely
positively the wrong answer (sorry, Skip) for the reasons others gave,
primarily: no symbolic substitution.  While I like one person's
suggestion of DD *,SYMBOLS=YES, that should be implemented separately,
regardless of the PARM solution chosen.  I don't think it's the right
answer to the PARM problem.

/Leonard