Under z/OS 1.4 and PL/I Enterprise 3.3 the following
program works when called by the OP REXX code.

 PGM1: PROCEDURE(DSN,DDN)  OPTIONS(MAIN NOEXECOPS BYADDR) REORDER;

 DCL  DSN  CHAR(44)   VAR;
 DCL  DDN  CHAR(08)   VAR;

 PUT DATA(DSN);
 PUT SKIP DATA(DDN);

 END PGM1;

Tested in TSO foreground, background and batch IRXJCL.

Perhaps the OP could post back with more info as to his OS,
compilier release, etc. It should be working for him.

--
Jeff