Todd,

First, lets not make this personal.  *I* didn't pass 64K bytes to a program
not expecting it, someone else did.  (I know better.)  The result could be
a program failure.  Some sites will launch a witch hunt to assess guilt,
etc.  But the architecture in place when the program was written completely
precluded that possibility... so it really was IBM who broke the program.
Especially since the rules in place even TODAY continue to preclude the
possibility.

Second, when *I* want to pass 64K (or more) to a program I use the existing
mechanism that works very, very well: a FILE.

If you try passing 64K worth of "PARM=" to a program, you'll be looking at
just about 1000 JCL statements to carry that (PARM=file) data.  (Would
someone from Kansas call that "intelligent design"?  I wouldn't.)  You've
made the internal reader (and C/I) busier just to satisfy misguided methods
of avoiding another file.

Finally, if you want to establish a new convention for "stdparm" in
addition to "stdin" and "stdout" I am behind you 100%.  (If you want to
break old programs why don't you do that under an alternative platform
instead?)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI