In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 05/23/2005
   at 08:42 AM, Joe Zitzelberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>What is the purpose of moving the parm to an internal field?  That
>just  strikes me as broken as designed (BAD).  You cannot change the
>value,  it is truly input only.

No. You can,  and might need to, change the value, e.g., to convert
case or code page. The only thing that is broken is the failure to
check that the length is in range.

>It also strikes me as more effort than just using the parm inplace in
>this age of reentrent and reusable code styles.

No. First of all, it's no more effort to move data into a dynamic work
area that you had to acquire regardless than it is to move them into
an inline field. Second, using the parm inplace might not work at all.