On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:29:02 -0600, Scott Fagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Official IBM recommendation (from
>http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/servicetst/cstrsu.pdf):
>
>General Maintenance Recommendations using revised RSU:
>IBM now has the same recommendations for key OS/390 and z/OS products.
>Upgrade RSU preventive maintenance every 3 months (or maximum of 6
>months). Start with the latest RSU available. Monitor HIPER and PE fixes
>by reviewing weekly and installing as needed.

I also found Greg Daynes' excellent CST-RSU Share S2827a presentation
(August 13 2003)
http://ew.share.org/callpapers/attach/Washington_DC/S2827a.pdf

There was also a draft "Improvements in z/OS Service" (REDP0324) about
CST/RSU, which never got published as far as I know. (is no longer on the
redbook site either).

What's very interesting in the CST/RSU thing is the 3 month consolidated
test cycle with the 'revised' RSU as outcome.
But .... it's only for z/OS and it's major subsystems (IMS, DB2, MQ, WAS,
CICS, and some minor things (for me at least)).
But no TWS (ex-OPC) for example!!

At this moment we work with the Canadian Custompacs: Refreshpac & SFSs.
CustomPac Services    https://www.can.ibm.com/custompac/
https://www.can.ibm.com/custompac/deliverable/refreshpac.htm
https://www.can.ibm.com/custompac/deliverable/sfs.htm

CustomPacs are CSI-based. We send the CSI to IBM with all *our* FMID's &
we get refrespacs and/or SFSs regularly.
CST/RSU on the contrary is not CSI-based.
If I recall well, prerequisite is even some support contract.

The main question is:
what *IS* now IBM's final recommendation?
CST/RSU is free, probably of a higher quality, but incomplete (only for
z/OS & major subsystems).
CustomPacs are personalized and contain service for ALL CSI products.

Can you work with both approaches, CST/RSU and Custompac?
For as far as I know (I'm not the SMP/E expert overhere), it doesn't look
to me as an or-or relationship. From a purely technical point of view, it
should be possible to use both techniques in parallel. In theory, it
should be possible to work for example with 2 CSIs, a RSU-CSI & a
Custompac-CSI. And I suppose we can reconciliate with cross-zone SMP/E.
But are there considerations about doing so? Pro's & con's? Do's and
don'ts?

Experiences / considerations to share?

Jan