In a recent note, Greg Price said:

> Date:         Wed, 1 Jun 2005 22:40:25 +1000
>
> >>Well, here's my theory:
> >
> > Does this have to be done by theory and/or experiment, or is it made
> > clear in the documentation?
>
> I believe theory/experiment/doco all agree on how "the system" behaves
> here.  The "theory" reference is due to me not having access to the
> current source of IEBGENER.

If the documentation were adequate, there would be no need for access to
the source code.

> I was going to suggest that experiments with SYSOUT are not relevant
> to illustrate DCB processing, but Ed J said it first.  Hence my

If JES performs DCB processing, it's relevant.  The relevant information
should be supplied at least in a JES-specific manual, and "Using Data
Sets" should contain at least a cross reference to it.

> I have not checked the doco re your point about the exit getting
> control before or after the SDB is filled in.  Experiment indicates
> that the exit ends before the OPEN-time SDB is supplied.

I have found no statement that clarifies this.  Again, with proper
documentation experiment would be unnecessary.

> I expect "DFSMS: Using Data Sets" to talk about the OPEN-time SDB,
> and "DFSMS: Implementing System Managed Storage" (SC26-7407-02) to
> talk about the DADSM end of things including allocation-time SDB.
> I suppose it might be nice if each had a pointer to the other if
> they don't already.

The data sets in my tests all appear to be non-SMS (At least ISPF 3.4.I
shows no Management class, Storage class, nor Data class information.)
Yet, SDB appears to have filled in BLKSIZE for a data set that was never
opened.  I had hoped that non-SMS would simplify things by leaving
one more component out of the process.

-- gil
--
StorageTek