For a fairly decent description, try looking at:

http://lse.sourceforge.net/numa/faq/

Chris Blaicher

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Bielefeld [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2005 11:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Performance and Capacity Planning

Chris,

Two things.

1.  What is a NUMA machine.  How does being NUMA affect performance or MIPS
values.

2.  I still think that MIPS is a good measure of performance, if used
within the same line of computers.  If you compare the z/890, or z/990
models, MIPS gives a good relative value of what to expect.  If you compare
them to a 9672, it probably isn't as relevant.  The fact the IBM, when
announcing new hardware, usually prints MIPS in their charts says that it
is still a valid number.  I'm not saying it is best, or that there isn't
problems with MIPS, but the MIPS numbers still make more sense to me than
any other indicators.

Eric Bielefeld
P&H Mining Equipment