I wouldn't necessarily say they are meaningless. Especially when vendors
like CA charge by the mip.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Ted MacNEIL
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:00 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: MIPs vs MSU

So we have gone from Meaningless Indication of Processor speed to
Meaningless Service Units?
In a way, yes.
Last year, IBM introduced a new set of MSU's for the z/*90 processors.
This is on the order of 10% smaller than the LSPR-derived MSU's.
I still think they should have just dropped the $/MSU by 10%.

As an aside, when IBM runs LSPR to come up with a processor definition
constant (SU's/CPU-Sec), they never change it, even if LSPR is re-run
and MSU's are changed.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html