In a recent note, Schiradin,Roland HG-Dir itb-db/dc said:

> Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2005 23:48:03 +0200
>
> Unfortunally the process for the internal compress is a bit hidden to me.

I had thought there is no compress.  Space vacated by deleted members is
simply recycled for new members; existing members remain in place.  This
still leaves an issue of fragmentation; I don't know what addresses that.

If I migrate and recall a PDSE, does it come back optimized, defragmented,
compressed, whatever; even as happens with a PDS?

> Another issue is NON-SMS and PDSE

I was pleased to learn, relatively recently, that temporary PDSEs are
supported.  I assume this means something broke the logical chain
of PDSE implies SMS implies catalogued implies non-temporary.  Are
temporary PDSEs another instance that requires the SMS address space
to be active?

-- gil
--
StorageTek