On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 02:18:18PM -0500, Tom Harper ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Session Title: The Relationship Between College, Mainframes and Assembler
> Language.  Oh Wait, There Isn't One!

Back when I was working at the University of Southern California, which
had institutionalized animosity towards mainframes and IBM, I once got
a call from an MVS systems programmer working in the real world who was
interested in one of my freebie programs.  He had graduated from USC
with a degree in Computer Science and until he came across my program,
he didn't even know that USC had an IBM mainframe!  In USC Engineering,
it was taboo to even mention it.  From stories that I heard, I believe
this anti-IBM, anti-mainframe attitude was largely due to the high
costs of IBM systems and lack of meaningful educational discounts.  As
already mentioned here, IBM was giving 15% HESC discounts (but only
for VM software, none for MVS software!), while Sun was giving 85%
discounts.  And I don't think that IBM discounted the hardware at all.

So Aker's fixation on current quarter results came home to roost.
(Before that, IBM, like Japanese companies, understood that sometimes
you had forgo a little profit now to generate more later.)

/Leonard