On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 12:00:00AM +0000, Ted MacNEIL ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> If you have a lot of small datasets on a pack,
> you may also have a lot of small free extents (a usual tendency).
> Remember, the index is also used to find free space, as well.
>
> The format-5 (?) is unusable on an indexed volume.

Um, isn't the free space a bitmap in the vtocix (as opposed to a list
of extents as in the FMT5)?  I.e., if I'm remembering this correctly,
it means that the free space map in the vtocix is always the same size
for any given volume size.

As to installations being "different", another factor that I seem to
recall influences the size of the vtocix is how different dsnames are
from each other.  I don't think that the full dsname is needed for
every entry.  However, from a casual run of IEHEYEBALL on one vtocix,
I can't find any evidence to support this recollection.  Anybody know
for sure?

/Leonard