You're missing the point about "identity theft":

Say, e.g., that "Joe Schmuck" has established for himself a reputation for
stiffing creditors, committing various and sundry "minor frauds" for various
purposes, maybe even a habit of driving drunk (and getting caught).  His
"credit report" shows nothing but unpaid charges, late payments,
irresponsible use of credit, etc.  His "police record" is as long as your
arm, and his driving record is cited as *the* example of lax traffic law
enforcement.  "Joe Schmuck" is certainly a character in whom one might be
hesitant to trust, no?

In contrast, let's say that "Ron Hawkins" is the diametrical opposite of
"Joe Schmuck":  "Ron Hawkins" has painstakingly built up a reputation for
always timely paying his debts; he never overextends his use of credit;
probably doesn't even know how to commit fraud; and never drives drunk (or
at least never gets caught).  His "credit report" shows a AAA+ rating:
"This guy never asks for more than he can afford, and always pays as agreed.
Give him whatever he asks."  He has no "police record", and his driving
record is "clean".

Now, "Ron Hawkins" is not worried that somebody might obtain his ID number,
because that number by itself cannot be used to establish identity.  Or can
it?

That ID number is linked to the name, address, birthdate, place of birth,
and other vital statistics about "Ron Hawkins", is it not?  And the
appearance of the physical ID card, passport, etc. on which he relies is
"well-known", is it not?  And technology available even to schoolchildren is
sufficiently sophisticated to reproduce that "well-known" ID card faithfully
enough to convince even the "above-average person" of the validity of the
reproduction, is it not?

So, let's say that "Joe Schmuck" obtains "Ron Hawkins'" ID number, and via
that number learns that "Ron Hawkins" is a "model citizen" worthy of
emulation.  All "Joe Schmuck" needs to do is place his own photo on a
reproduction of a "Ron Hawkins" identity document, and voila!  "Joe Schmuck"
*IS* "Ron Hawkins", for most intents and purposes.

Now the fake "Ron Hawkins" starts enjoying the creditworthiness and good
name of the real "Ron Hawkins", and it isn't long before he falls into his
old habits of overextending, paying late or not at all, getting into
"official contact" situations with the police, etc., etc.  Not too long
after that, these things start showing up on "Ron Hawkins'" credit report.
But the real "Ron Hawkins" might not realize it until he applies for credit
some time in the future, or is stopped by police for some minor infraction,
after much damage has been done to his reputation.

Now the real "Ron Hawkins" has to bear the embarrassment, expenses and time
to (try to) clear his good name.

*THAT* is why we are concerned about "identity theft".

> As a Bank Teller in my early working life, I am simply
> horrified that in the USA a person can simply waltz in and
> open an account with simply an SS number and no verification
> of the identity.

How astutely do bank tellers determine the validity of whatever is presented
as "verification of identity"?

> In Australia there is a points system to open a Bank account.
> A driver's licence with a photo on it is not enough to score
> 100 points - you need supporting ID. I think a passport is
> the only single item that scores 100 points. The Tax File
> number, equivalent to USA SS number, scores zero. I couldn't
> give a toss who has my Tax File Number or my Hong Kong ID
> number because they are useless as identification.

If you were to post either of those numbers on the Internet (even in this
forum), I'd wager that before this decade is out you'd be "wanted" somewhere
in the world, and not for your professional talents.

    -jc-