Howard,

> For our databases, we need to make sure our key is not data.   At one time
> SSNs
> were not data, but they have become data.   How do we stop ID cards from
> becoming data the same as your name is?

This is my point: the ID card number is just data, the same as my name, my
birthday and my mother's maiden name. My Bank in Hong Kong assigns me a
customer number, and my wife has a different customer number and this number
is used as to link between customer details and account details.

> It may be difficult to have invalid ID cards, but it certainly is not
> impossible.   At least law enforcement will need to have databases which
> assume
> multiple IDs per person, or multiple people for IDs.

I have lived in Hong Kong twice, with an eight year gap in between - but
they still gave me the same ID number.

> As far as photo IDs go - a year ago, I got my new driver's license in the
> mail.
>  It has the same old photo from way before I got my beard.   It's not very
> useful.

Every time a get a new visa for China I have to give a new photo. Every time
I renew my passport I have to provide a new photo. New Victorian Driver's
licence - yep a new photo. The system you choose to live in has a problem in
this regard. The system I choose to live in does not.

Also realise there is a big difference between a photo ID and a tamper proof
photo ID. The HK ID card system is not just a pretty face on some plastic.
The Government database also contains my finger prints along with my
mugshot, and both my thumbprints are stored on a chip embedded in the card.

> How do you use this ID in your databases?

As one form of identification, like my birthday. I still have to sign a
cheque or enter a PIN to get my money.

Ron