In a recent note, Timothy Sipples said:

> Date:         Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:02:08 -0500
>
> The analogy to ICSF in the Linux world is OpenSSL. If you've got the right
> kernel and OpenSSL version, and your Linux software is using OpenSSL, it
> should exploit the hardware appropriately.

Linux?  Interesting.  I had thought the interfaces to the encryption hardware
were Trade Secret?  Has IBM opened the specifications?  Or have they provided
a closed-source driver (allowed by GPL) with open specifications at a higher
layer?

In somewhat related business news, IBM has unlocked the cell:

    http://news.google.com/news?q=ibm+cell

Who knows?  If there's an open interface to the crypto hardware, might the
ETR be next?

-- gil
--
StorageTek