From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Schramm, Rob
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Top Secret TIMELOCK value

Where is the CF?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Neil Ervin
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Top Secret TIMELOCK value

Background:
We run Top Secret release 5.3 at Service Level 5302 in
6 z/OS 1.5 images sharing a SECFILE structure with
OPTIONS(61) to move the SECFILE locking function into the structure. The
default TIMELOCK wait value (250
milliseconds) causes CICS response time spikes in the
10+ second range. The vendor (Computer Associates)
recommends 100 milliseconds for TIMELOCK, but our experimentation
(SYSPLEX(TRACE)) shows the SECFILE lock can be gotten and released in less
than 10 milliseconds.

The basic question is this:
If you're using Computer Associates' Top Secret product in a parallel
sysplex, and have implemented a coupling facility structure for the SECFILE
with
OPTIONS(61) in effect, what value do you use for the TIMELOCK "wait"
parameter (1st value)?

Extended questions:
We are very interested in any experience modifying the TIMELOCK value when
structures are used for Top Secret SECFILE locking.  If you use the default
TIMELOCK wait value (50 for release 5.2, 25 for release 5.3), how many
images share the structure? If you have modified the default, how did you
determine the correct value?
Are you confident that the value you use is optimum (e.g. a lower value
would be detrimental to performance)? Do all sharing instances of Top Secret
use the same TIMELOCK value or is each assigned a value based on the
performance characteristics of the hosting z/OS image?

Thanks,

__________________________________
Discover Yahoo!

http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html

to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the
archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may
be privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If
you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it
in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender
that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your
computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.