Both Halon (which was bad for the Ozone layer) and a more environmentally friendly replacement 1,1,1,2,3,3,3-heptafluoro-propane (manufactured under names such as HFC-227ea, FM-200, FE-227) have a minimum concentration at which they will suppress fires, and a higher concentration at which they become toxic. If I remember correctly, the size of the effective, nontoxic range is not that large, and smaller for Halon than HFC-227ea. IF the fire suppression system is properly designed and sized for the area covered, concentrations would not be toxic; but, I have also read such things as "possible effects of long-term exposure to lower level concentrations of HFC-227 are not well understood", so erring on the side of caution where possible sounds advisable.

More importantly, if these chemicals are discharged because a fire is in progress, chemical byproducts of the combustion itself and the byproducts of the reaction of the fire suppressant with the fire ARE most likely toxic and exposure should be avoided.

I don't remember how Halon functions, but my understanding of HFC-227ea is that in contact with fire it undergoes a chemical reaction that both absorbs heat and also consumes some oxygen at the point of the fire, and the combination of these extinguishes the fire. I think the effective fire suppression concentration of HFC-227 is somewhere in the 5% - 10% range (maybe less), so at worst only 10% of the air is displaced and the reduction in oxygen concentration in the room caused by the chemical discharge would be relatively minor, say from 20% down to 18%.

Shane Ginnane wrote:
I can only own up to being in 2.
In neither case was I affected by the gas - I was out the door as soon as I
heard it drop.
*VERY* good incentive to get moving.

Shane ....
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 22/06/2005
11:23:25 AM:
Not true, I've been in 3 HALON dumps back in the days it was THE method
for
computer room FS.  One must exit quickly as it will make you short of
breath
at high enough concentrations since it displaces oxygen.
I can best describe the experience as running at 10,000 feet elevation.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        [EMAIL PROTECTED]