Patrick O'Keefe wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:55:23 -0500, Ned Hedrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

There is also a product called Inergen -- a mixture of 52% nitrogen, 40%
argon and 8% carbon dioxide -- that claims to be safe to the environment
and people.

FSVO "safe".  Sounds good for the environment and equipment.  People do
better with a little oxygen.  In theory, HALON is safer for humans
that don't happen to be burning at high temperature.  In practice, I'd
try to get out of the area fast, regardless of the fire estinguishing
techniques.

1. HALON is now forbidden because of ozone hole.
2. There are "modern" mixtures in place of HALON. Manufacturers took into consideration two factors:
- effectivnesss of fire extinguish
- human health.
3. Even way of distribution this gas is modernized. It must be evenly and quickly distributed to be effective. Often nitrogen is used as "transport gas" to speed up the process. The pipes are very fat for that reason also. 4. "neutral" gas (usually Nitrogen + Argon) is just cheaper and less effective alternative.
5. Anyway I would leave the computer room as fast as possible <vbg>

BTW: I know about institution, where staff is instructed not to leave, during gas dump. They're assured they will be able to breathe, however for every seat there is "oxygen mask" in the drawer under the desk. This is flight control centre.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland