On Jun 23, 2005, at 7:44 AM, Bill Klein wrote:

"Perryman, Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED] wgc.win2k.corp.tns
i.com>...
SNIP<

<snip>

What is not self-describing about these is why they suddenly started
appearing when the programmer hadn't changed any of his code, that's what!

If messages start appearing after a migration of compilers, then SOMEONE
(application programmer or systems programmer) SHOULD have the sense to
check in the "Migration Guide".

Furthermore, IMHO, anyone (systems programmer) who does a migration of
compilers and does NOT look at what compiler options are DOCUMENTED as
changing and figuring out what implications this has for their shop, isn't
doing their job.

Bill,

While I agree with you (to a point). I have installed products I don't know squat about (example APL) with some of the options only an true engineer could understand.

Asking IBM for help is at best iffy. The only sure thing is that you will be charged for any help.

While APL is an extreme example there are other products that are similarly difficult. I will go for the easy one and that is LE the defaults (until recently ) were horrendous and how was one to know that they were "bad" ? After a lot of investigation by the experts IBM finally published a decent set of options. Now unless you went to SHARE you had no idea (and no way of knowing) that there were a better set of options around.

I am not picking on LE per se (its an easy target) but how does one know about which options should be set and which should be left alone? Half the time the manuals are let than enlightening.

Yes I know COBOL effects almost everyone and should be read closely but what do you do when the information is not enough and when you need to know any far reaching implications?

SHARE is a partial answer but only if you know you are going to to be doing something 6 months in advance.

COBOL at one time was a decent product and IMO has been sold out to the PFSKs.

Ed