john gilmore wrote:

A directed LOAD can, for example, be supplemented by a [degenerate] IDENTIFY to obtain the CDE that you may perhaps need and won't get from this LOAD alone;

IDENTIFY cannot be used to convert an "unnamed" area of virtual storage into a module with a CDE. It works only for that virtual storage covered by the extent list of an existing module created with LOAD (using a normal, non-directed LOAD) or LINK(X), ATTACH(X), XCTL(X). Otherwise you get return code x'0C' from IDENTIFY.

[snip]

Your post doesn't inspire great confidence that you belong where you are apparently hellbent to go.

Agreed. I keep hoping his privileged code is scheduled in an IRB and isn't a "normal" CICS transaction that got authorized using a "magic" SVC or other kludge. And attempting to use LRA and SSKE to change the keys of the real frames backing unfixed virtual pages is just plain scary. (A good way to take down the entire operating system.) Fortunately, Richard works for a cable company and /not/ a software development company.

| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |
| Phoenix Software International | Tel: (310) 338-0400 x318       |
| 5200 W Century Blvd, Suite 800 | Fax: (310) 338-0801            |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | http://www.phoenixsoftware.com |