"Shmuel  Metz , Seymour J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/23/2005
>    at 07:23 PM, Joe Zitzelberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

<snip>
> >In all contexts, this message means you have a screwed up DBCS
> >literal in your source code.
>
> I don't understand CJK languages. Why would a reasonable author expect
> me to know what DBCS is in the first place, much less what SI and SO
> are. None of those are terms used by COBOL programmers not involved in
> Asian languages.
>
> >and that is exactly what the self-describing message says.
>
> There was no self-describing message. There was an opaque message that
> was meaningless to its target audience. Even had there been an
> explanation it would have been appropriate to fix the message
> contents.

<snip>

Until/unless IBM *does* provide additional information (via improved
messages or with a Messages & Codes manual), *MY* recommendation is (to the
application programmer - or any systems programmer who is faced with such
questions):

A) Make certain that you compile with FLAG(i,I) - this will insure that
(almost all) messages appear right by the line with the problem.  (Most/Many
messages include a column indicator telling where the specific problem
exists)

B) Use an "online search" mechanism (I prefer BookManager - as it allows you
to search the entire bookshelf of COBOL manuals). Use what appear to be
"keywords" in the compiler message - especially any you don't understand
(e.g. "SHIFT-IN").

C) If the above information is NOT enough to figure out the problem, then
*DO* submit a PMR.  For "faster" response, it might also be useful to post
to both IBM-MAIN and comp.lang.cobol

   ***

NOTE WELL:
   Although this topic comes up occasionally in IBM-MAIN, there really are
VERY FEW "questions" in either comp.lang.cobol or TEK-TIPS about "what does
the following IBM COBOL compiler message mean."  This does (to me) confirm
the IBM belief that MOST of the messages *are* self-documenting.

Even for the message in question, it is my belief that MOST of the time that
it is issued is because someone using DBCS within alphanumeric literals have
mis-coded it.  This along with the fact that the "currently supported" CICS
translators with the recommended translator options do NOT cause the
problem, makes it hard for me to "blame" the compiler message or
documentation.