Just out of curiosity, why multiple passes. I know that they must have their reasons... Something like residual data on the edges of the track or some such, since there is a possibility of the track not being recorded in the exact location of the previous write?

Bill Fairchild wrote:

I assume you are using QSAM on the 2 and 3 blocks per track pass to make the ALC program easier to write, but a single full-track block can be written with EXCP if you want to go there - takes a little more ALC programming. Chain enough full-track writes together to do one whole cylinder per I/O request. Then you lose minimal time due to extra rotations when switching from one track to the next.

BIG CAVEAT: make sure there are no data sets in use on the volume before you start erasing it. Especially system data sets. Especially JES checkpoint and paging data sets. Been there, done that, got major ugly scars (master console went SOLID red with undeletable critical error msgs just before system crashed bigtime). ENQ is a good way to test for most data sets.

High-speed erase of huge number of volumes (such as in a DR facility after testing one's DR plan) is a difficult problem, and very necessary. Whoever comes into the DR shop after you leave can see all your data unless you erase it when you are finished with your test. And that includes paging data sets, which also need to be erased, but you really ought to do them last. A non-MVS standalone process is probably best (as in New Era). How to erase is not itself difficult, but how to erase super-fast a huge number of volumes becomes the problem. One way to speed it up is to ask different DASD vendors for their proprietary full-volume erase command. STK has one, and doing one I/O request erases the whole volume. Other vendors may require doing full-track writes to tens of thousands of tracks, a very time-consuming process. And DoD/IC [1] standards require multiple passes with special bit patterns.

If it takes you one hour to download all your data at the beginning of a DR test shot, plan on taking at least one hour to erase everything. Test it all at home before you go to the DR place, too. Then you can accurately plan on how long it will take to erase at the DR place.

Bill Fairchild

[1] Department of Defense/Intelligence Community