In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 06/28/2005
   at 09:27 PM, Bill Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I don't understand your comment.

Because you ignored part[1] of it and are are assuming that what
appears in the listing is identical to what appears in the source
code. That certainly didn't use to be true, and so far nobody has been
willing to state that it has changed.

>As previously indicated the FLAG(I,I) option became the default at
>the same time as DBCS.

As previously indicated, that is irrelevant.

>Therefore, the compiler error message WILL appear in the listing
>IMMEDIATELY after the line inserted by the translator (indicating
>the column in that line with the problem).

What good does that do when the message lacks the necessary data to
diagnose the problem and is unintelligible to the target audience?

>If a CICS application programmer can't "recognize" a translator
>inserted line with
>   Move "alphanumeric literal" to DFHnnnn
>field as being inserted by the translator

Straw dummy. The CICS programmer can recognize it; what he can't do is
to guess what nondisplayable data are in the text.

>and/or if that same programmer can't recognize that the column that
>the message is pointing to is within an alphanumeric literal,

Another straw dummy.

>then NO "messages and codes" manual is ever going to
>help that programmer (IMHO)

A combination of a messages manual and a better message would.
Starting with displaying the message text in hexadecimal, explaining
what SI and SO are and giving their hexadecimal values.

[1] "Have they stopped translating out nondisplayable characters?"