Itschak Mugzach wrote:
Good Morning,
Our MF is equipped with two OSA cards. The following devices are
defined: Vipa, card1 and card2. The Beginroutes statement defines some
static routes, all of them, except one, uses card2. The default route is
also pointing to card2. There is one route statement that defines a
static route to card1. MVS is 1.4.
The abnormality is that if card2 is defined under the vipa, it is not
accessed and traceroute shows that tcp/ip does know the route to the
device (tries 1*, 2* etc). If this card is removed from the VIPA, placed
before, TCPIP access the device. We started to implement VIPA and we
have a mixed environment where some connections use the VIPA address and
some uses card2 address. We plan to fully implement VIPA, but until then
want to solve that behavior. I hope I explained myself... Any idea what happens, and why? Thanks for your help. Itschak

From where are you doing the trace route? What IP addresses show up in a trace route depends on where you do it from.

Doing it from your z/OS system to say "PC#1" will show something different than if you do a trace route from "PC#1" to your z/OS system.

My guess is that you are doing the traceroute FROM your z/OS system. It will not show up there, because you are not really routing. As with any system that may support "virtual" IP addresses, you do not really "ROUTE" you are selecting which interface to send out on. If you were to do a trace of the traffic you would se the VIPA address and you would see CARD2 mac.

A traceroute shows you the IP address of the interface on "your side" of the path. "Your side" meaning closest to the host initiating the trace route. It does NOT show you the IP address of all interfaces that you may pass through.

If you were to do a traceroute from "PC#1" to z/OS you should see card2 IP address, as long as the route TO your VIPA address is through card2.