I would not have imagined that many customers care deeply about the OTHER
stats--other than HURBA and HARBA--until we began running z/OS 1.6 and
discovered otherwise. The LISTCAT change was apparently made in 1.5, but we
had skipped that release. The LISTCAT change came to our attention rather
rudely: programs that try to digest stats suddenly died with S0C7. The
outstanding case for us was StarTool, which apparently reads the stats when
opening a VSAM cluster. Boom.

The case for inserting INVALID in a field that had been numeric since the
dawn of time was that some customer(s) objected to being presented with
values that were known to be incorrect in some unpredictable and
unreconstructable way. It's hard to imagine that this uncertainty was any
more painful than the inability to even open a VSAM cluster until it had
been recreated. We all understand that a report format is not a 'documented
interface'. On the other hand, how many decades of consistency does it take
to constitute a 'constant interface'?

Anyhow, I only learned of OA11927 in this thread. Good decision. I haven't
seen the modified output but will install the fix ASAP. Sure hope I don't
have to beat up on Serena again right after they finally fixed the INVALID
problem. ;-)

.
.
.