----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Thomen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: IBM VSAM Statistics are often Bogus

Had I worked in VSAM for 30+ years I'd have made this change a long time
ago and this issue would never have been so contentious.  But I've only
been working directly in VSAM for a couple of years now so I apologize for
not publicizing this sooner.  And as several users have pointed out,
invalid data is invalid data - and how can you make business decisions on
invalid data?  If your checking statement said you had $3,127.47 but next
to it in parentheses it said "(but this amount is invalid)", would you go
out and try to spend the money? No, I think you'd be kinda cautious so you
didn't get arrested for fraud.  I wonder how businesses can make decisions
on the same invalid data.

We do have plans to correct the problem, but it's dependent on resources,
and time.

Mark,

The only beef I had with this whole thing is that IBM did not protect the customer investment with the first fix. I know you hate the compromise fix, but it was the right thing to do. Ensuring that customer code runs uninterrupted wherever possible should be one of the highest development priorities. The new fix allows application code to run unchanged (although REXX will probably still fail because the '*' is abutted to the end of the number), while giving the new information that the data is potentially invalid.

Regards,
Tom Conley