From:   IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Farley, Peter x23353
Sent:   Wednesday, July 06, 2005 10:32 AM
To:     IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject:        Re: IBM VSAM Statistics are often Bogus

I never even envisioned automated tools looking at VSAM stats.  My
ASSumption when reading Mark's posts was that he was referring to individual
programmers looking at individual VSAM file stats for guidance.  My
experience is obviously severely limited in this regard, as in my varied
positions over the years the usual case was that all of the applications'
datasets (including VSAM) were our (the application programmers')
responsibility to feed and care for, and we never had thousands to contend
with.

As for my ASSumption on criticality, the normal performance variations (once
a good initial design and shakeout was done) for an individual (set of)
application file(s) were never that critical unless severe volume increases
occurred.  A parochial point of view, I must freely admit.

I stand humbly corrected.  My vision is obviously way too narrow.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]