Bill Fairchild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> VSAM's being obsolete is like saying TSO is obsolete.  VSAM has been
> the strategic access method of IBM since the mid-1970s.  It
> underlies many other structures that programmers also don't see,
> such as page  data sets and catalogs, without which z/OS will not
> run very well or long.   A better term might be "non-obvious".

Page dataset I/O uses ASM's I/O driver, which adds new channel
commands onto the end of "seldom ending channel programs" (SECP).
MVS/XA added some extensions that allow suspension and resumption
of channel programs.  Originally, a new channel program for a
page dataset volume forced ASM to end its own channel program (one
outstanding channel program per subchannel).  I'm not sure where
that restriction fits into multiple channel programs per volume.

The role "The Mysterious Media Manager" plays in VSAM and VSAM-
like datasets is discussed in a NASPA article by Steve Pryor
available at URL

<www.naspa.com/PDF/2003/0503/T0305009.pdf>
--
John R. Grout