LUNs and BCV are not "UNIX Terminology". LUNs is SCSI terminology.
Basically, an LUN is similar in concept to a device address in zSeries
(no, that is not 100% technically correct). BCV is an EMC DASD concept.
It is a Business Continuance Volume. At least, that is the only meaning
that I am aware of for it. A BCV is a "mirror" volume (like in RAID
mirroring), but it can be "broken out" of the mirroring group and
accessed separately. This allows for a point-in-time image of a DASD
volume, which can then be backed up (using FDR or a separate z/OS image.
It cannot be brought on-line to the original z/OS image because it has a
duplicate VOLSER).

One of the premier publishers of UNIX/Linux books is O'Reilly. They have
a web-based, subscription site, where you can read many of their
manuals. Go to http://safari.oreilly.com/ for more information. But,
WAIT!, if you act quickly, you can get a free 14 day subscription!!
<grin> Seriouly, they are an excellent publisher. They also have some
totally free-to-read things.

You might also want to look around http://www.tldp.org/. This is the
Linux Documentation Project. I am a Linux user. I found it really helped
me to understand z/OS UNIX. Granted, they are not 100% identical, but
the concepts are very similar.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its'
content is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.