-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:34:34
To:IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Highly used programs: any better replacements out there? IDCAMS,
IEFBR14

In a recent note, Martin Kline said:

> Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:43:18 -0500
>
> It's a serious suggestion, but I do not expect IBM to
> give it serious consideration. There's no money to make.

IBM will respond to serious customer requirements.  But you
need to make a business case.  You probably need to enlist
the support of your colleagues.  You haven't succeded in
that.  It would help if you provided some real statistics:
How much resource is your site expending on IEFBR14?

It's my suspicion (no hard numbers here, either) that creating,
cataloguing, or deleting a single data set is more expensive
than the IEFBR14 overhead; that's where the optimization
effort should be concentrated.  Short of that, heed the
suggestion of John Eells (and others) to use IDCAMS instead
of IEFBR14.  Now, is IDCAMS itself susceptible to optimization?

I find that when I go to ISPF 3.4 and type 'D' before a few
dozen data set names, my terminal is unavailable for an
uncomfortably long time during processing.  I wish that could
be done in parallel, or, better, in background, so I could use
the terminal, or at least the other screen split, for the
duration.

-- gil
--
StorageTek