[snip]
Reliability is only one part of the equation.
[snip]
Good points, however I was responding to the idea that running a simple
app on a single box somehow proves that the server boxes are now on par
with mainframe reliablility, and that's not a logical comparison.

[snip]
> A mainframe is a different beast, offering many, many diverse
> applications to thousands of users all on one box.

Well occasionally that's true.
[snip]
Not in my experience. It has always been true in every shop I've worked
in.

[snip]
> I've yet to see unix or windows accomplish the same thing.

See Ron Hawkins' last post on this. If you're running modern
disk hardware you're running a fault-tolerant unix application
[snip]
Again, you can't compare a single purpose application (such as a disk
array), with a mainframe. Sure, some subsystems are supported by cheap
chips or os/s, but they are doing a very simple job: exactly what these
things should be used for.

[snip]
> You have to compare apples to apples when talking about reliability.

Rubbish. Reliability is a "nice to have" feature that costs a ton of
engineering dollars.
[snip]
I'm not sure where you've been working, but if I told the company
president here that reliabliltiy was "nice to have" I'd be out on the
street before I could blink. IBM didn't invent RAS systems to keep
themselves amused, they did so because their customers demanded it, and
were willing to pay for it. Both IBM and their customers had to invest
heavily in this or they'd be out of business.

I'm not going to get into chest thumping over mainframes, this issue has
been beaten to death. All I'm saying is that today's mainframes,
technically, are still ahead in terms of ras when you consider all they
are able to take on and the number of concurrent users they are able to
support. The day that it becomes commonplace for, say, three unix servers
to be able to support the entire IT production environment for a large
company, and do so reliably, I'll concede the point.

Robin Murray
Tel: (902) 453-7300 x4177
Cell: (902) 430-0637