From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of R.S.
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Another - Another One Bites the Dust

David Andrews wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 20:33 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:
>
>>Guess what?  While we may not like it, Sun, HP etc. are reliable
>>enough for most things.  There are people in the Unix/Linux world who
>>brag about the number of months between reboots.
>

> A point well worth repeating.  A few years ago I had a brochure
> website hosted on a HP Netserver running under FreeBSD.  It had two
> years of consecutive uptime before we lost power in a planned outage.
> (My site ~almost~ made Netcraft's list of longest-running sites on the
> 'net.  At the time #100 had 800 or so days of uptime.)

Uptime depends on many factors, not only hardware platform or operating
system.
I know of several PC machines which were dedicated to specific tasks:
modem transmission, telex transmission, etc. These machines worked under MS
DOS, qutie archaic version, because of no upgrades. NEVER required reboot or
application restart.
Equipment was XT, AT, 386, "clones" from Taiwan R.O.C. (I mean no famous
brands like Compaq, Dell or other).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland