David Andrews wrote:

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 00:20 +0200, Peter Pfaffner wrote:

don't try to teach  newbies the wrong things !!!
It's really dangerous what you are doing, especially if they (the
newbies) don't know the things you know.

When my kids were growing up, I knew that they'd try some potentially
dangerous things from time to time -- use power tools, shoot a gun, set
a bonfire.  My philosophy was to SHOW them how to do these things rather
than have them experiment and face the consequences.

The OP asked how to acquire superstate, which set off alarms in the
minds of many here.  We duly noted the hazards of using MODESET, but it
would be arrogant (and futile) to refuse to answer the question of a
novice simply because we imagine that he is "not ready" for the
information.

It depends. Sometimes person who asked has very different problem.
In this case the problem was related to usage of ICSF under CICS and can be solved without MODESET, no doubt. So it is better to show proper way than to explain all the risks and problems related to supervisor state.
This state is not the goal, it is effect of misleading message.

BTW:
Someone call me: hey, could make some changes in hmm, how is it called... JES ?
Me: Yes, I can to reconfigure JES2, but what changes are needed ?
Him: Oh, I want my job to run.
Me: what's wrong with the configuration?
Him: I don't know exaclty, but JES is for sure badly configured, I submit the job and see no effect.
(some investigations)
Me: Your job has CLASS=5 coded in the jobcard. We don't use such class, please change it, you should use CLASS=A... Him: Can't you change the JES ? My job is OK, I've got it as final version, I don't want to reconfigure the job, it would cause application unstability...
*Real story.*
He even tried to convince my manager, that I should change the JES.
Moral: Should I change JES or he needed JCL class ?

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland