-- snip --
GDPS is evolving.
It hasn't reached that ideal state you are looking for.

So far, if I recall correctly, only the SYSPLEX timers and the DASD are
truly in synch.

And, DASD is not bi-directional (yet) for the same volume.
-- snip --

Ted, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "not bi-directional".

In a freeze situation with Hyperswap, the primary DASD are suspended, and
the secondary DASD become primary. At this stage (if the original DASD are
ok), you can start the mirroring process again - this time from the
secondary site to the primary site. Any changes (registered in the
track-bit map), will be transferred before the device is again placed in
DUPLEX status.

A prerequisite is that the PPRC feature is available on both subsystems.

Discalaimer : My basis is IBM ESS. Ron - you could give us the HDS view.

John.