On 25-Jul-2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Yaeger) wrote:

> I guess I don't understand what you're trying to do.  For the records you
> showed,
> you were treating records with 'N' in 22 as duplicates even though they had
> different
> characters in 21 ('*' and 'L').  If you are looking at 21-22, then '*N' and
> 'LN' are
> NOT duplicates.  I thought you wanted to look at 22 for duplicates and get
> the "last"
> one of each (which happened to have an 'L' in 21).
>
> I guess you need to explain more clearly what you meant by "But I
> absolutely need to pick up the "L" in column 21 instead of the "*" in
> column 21 when there is a duplicate".  Are you looking for "L"
> specifically, or "L" because it collates after '*' or what?

I'm sorry.  I went back and read my question and don't know what I said wrong.

Let me try again.

I have some records such as these:

 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 ----+----1----+----2----+---
 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 212345678900000000{ *N033333
 212345678900000000{ *N033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333

There are more in this file, but these are going to all currently together after
going through:
SORT FIELDS=(1,10,CH,A
             21,2,CH,A)

I don't need duplicates, so the following is equivalent to the above:
 212345678900000000{ *E033333
 ----+----1----+----2----+---
 212345678900000000{ *N033333
 212345678900000000{ *Q033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333

However, there is an existing bug.   I can't have both of the following:
 212345678900000000{ *N033333
 212345678900000000{ LN033333

In the case where only column 21 is different, I need to get the record with an
"L" in column 21, and never the one with the "*" in column 21.

Am I being more clear now?