From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Bruce Black
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:43 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Third party Maintenance of z/OS R4 after March 2007

>I have a third party hardware maintenance firm that is claiming that they
>can support z/OS after end of life.  Is it possible for a third party to
>maintain and support z/OS  R4 after the end of support date from IBM of
>March 2007?

Depends what they mean by support.  Even after EOS, all PTFs for
problems identified and fixed before EOS are still available, so they
can research problems and identify PTFs to apply.  of course if you are
at all skilled at using IBMLINK, you can do the same.

Once a system goes EOS, IBM will generally not issue PTFs for it, even
for cases where they could easily do so.

A third party would not have access to IBM's source code to assemble
modules for PTFs.  So many modules are OCO these days, they would not
even have access to listings for a lot of code, so there is little
chance they could generate zaps.

So it isn't clear to me what they could provide that is worth the money,
unless you have no sysprog staff to do this work inhouse

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR