OK. So nobody cares about 5-digit device numbers (JOBCAT/STEPCAT is always an amusing topic).

How about the wild branch diagnosis improvement? (Does anyone on this list still write code?)

z9 109 remembers the last successful branch instruction address and the operating system displays that address in dumps. I would guess that at least 90% of S0C1 abends are caused by so-called "wild branches" ... a large percentage of which end up at location zero. Given that, a typical debugging scenario is to look for zeros in R15. If so, assume the return address in R14 is the last known address. But what if it isn't? What if all of the registers are "clobbered"? There are many different possible wild branch outcomes and some can be *extremely* difficult to diagnose (BTDTGTS).

My reaction? It's about time! Thank you, IBM!

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |