<snips>
> And another 100 to replace them for newer ones as new
> technology comes out.
> Wow, they must be in the money, customers money that is.........
<more snips>
> And have another 50 in reserve to replace they ones going
> down every 5 minutes. <g>

Just ain't so folks... take a long hard look at the real numbers
and the results are not pretty. Fact 1. z/OS availability, as
experienced by most of our brethren, is nothing to write home about.
See all of the past threads about IPL frequency for verification.

Its not that the system isn't capable of continuous operation (IT
IS!!!) but evidently a wide majority of customers don't actually
trust it to be as reliable as it is.

Fact 2, there are many ways of skinning the high availability
cat and clustered systems made up of nothing more than networked
PCs and PC-like boxes are getting some seriously good numbers in
the real world. Yes Gertrude, you really can get better availability
from Windows than most z/OS customers get in the real world. Once
again, its not an intrinsic better/worse story. Its how you choose
to configure and run them.

I'd make some caustic remark about roses and coffee but I am
sure you all get my drift. The world around us really has changed.

CC