> Whatever happened to OS/360's vaunted device
> independence?  ...
>
> Gone with the wind.  All too many programs check for device type

I hear you and I agree, but it's really two different issues:

- Some developer decides to "over-check" device types. Stupid, but it
just affects that one program and its users.

- This issue affects every developer who wants to write a program that
exploits 31-bit storage (what a concept in 2005!) and still supports
terminal I/O.

Charles